Here Comes Baby!
Whether you’re thinking about becoming pregnant, you are pregnant or you just welcomed your little beauty to this world, it’s always a good idea to be thinking about the products that will make your life easier.
Let’s face it, being pregnant can be completely exhausting, but having a newborn is a complete game changer. Take everything you think you know and flip it upside down…and be prepared to continue doing that forever!
There we were…strapping our petite 5lb 13 oz baby girl into her car seat. Pulling them as tight as they could possibly go, we secured our little package. Carrying her out of the NICU and hospital was the most bizarre feeling ever. We couldn’t wipe the smiles off of our faces. We carried the car seat facing our body so we could watch her every movement and be sure she was covered from the sunlight. Taking careful and calculated steps, we finally made it to our car. Luckily, we lived up the road from the hospital, so we didn’t have far to travel. Our five-minute commute took approximately 15 minutes, carefully avoiding bumps or dips in the road and driving about 5km/hr. Thankfully, we had another one of our favourite products on our back window, notifying fellow drivers of our baby on board. We found this sticker on amazon.ca.
Remember, all new parents are going through the same things so don’t be afraid to reach out to friends, family or forums for help. It’s a lot easier when we’re all in this together!
Enjoy every minute, because it goes by within the blink of an eye! Here are some of my findings up until now…
The Realistic Hospital Bag
Pack simply and efficiently. There’s nothing worse than extra clutter on delivery day. And, let’s be realistic…who has time to sit back and read a book or magazine after the delivering a baby?
- Comfortable pajamas and robe
- cozy socks
- Sweat pants
- Nursing bras / bralettes
- Tank tops
- IPhone (IPhone charger)
- ID, Insurance Information & Credit Card
- Your own pillow and an extra blanket (if you’re always cold like I am)
- Hair brush
- Shampoo / conditioner…dry shampoo
- Straightener (if you’re feeling up for it)
- Hair ties
- Nipple cream
- Face wipes / face wash
- Approved car seat (base hooked up in your car)
- “Going home outfit”
- Diaper cream
- Formula (just in case)…ready mixed makes it a lot easier for the first few days
- Receiving blankets
Favourite Products…(so far):
Bugaboo Cameleon stroller
- Tip: Helpful additions:
- Cup holder
- Handle organizer
- Mosquito net
- Rain cover
- Travel case
- This stroller has been amazing. We used the bassinet version up until our daughter was about 8/9 months. She would sleep every time we would take her for a walk.
- It’s very easy to fold up and add the car seat attachments.
- Very easy to maneuver and handle.
Maxi Cosi infant car seat
- We received the Mico AP as a baby shower gift and couldn’t be happier with the product. Not only is it extremely durable, easy to clean and compact, it’s also easy to click in and out of the car.
- This car seat is suitable for babies ranging from 5lb to 22 lbs and 19” to 29”.
- Purchasing the adapters, we were also able to use the car seat with our stroller base.
- We were fortunate enough to be able to use this car seat for 10+ months; our daughter is very petite. We’re just starting to consider the next level convertible car seat now.
- Tip: We purchased an extra base for approximately $50.00 for my parent’s vehicle. We spent a lot of time with them so this was an easy way to avoid having to take the base in and out of our vehicle.
Leach Co podster
- I didn’t find this product until our daughter was about two months. I wish I had found it earlier. I ordered this from amazon.com and it is amazing. This chair hugged her body perfectly and allowed her to feel secure, warm and comfortable.
- Obviously, it goes without saying to always keep a very close watch on your sweetie.
Lorex baby video monitor
- This is a necessity! I’m definitely a “worrier” so this monitor gives me peace of mind.
- It’s small and compact and comes with an extra charging cord.
- It has a very clear picture, zooming functions, tells the temperature of the room and plays a variety of songs.
- You can also speak into the microphone, speaking into your baby’s room. This is helpful when you’re baby starts fussing and you want to let them know you’re on you way.
AVENT electric pump
- I have a few friends who decided to use a manual pump. Ahhhhh!!! Is all that I can say. This product is inexpensive and works just as well as the hospital grade pump.
- After having a premature baby, the hospital provided me with a hospital pump to use every two hours while we were in the NICU for a week. The pump was slightly painful and forceful. Once we returned home, I started using this pump that I had purchased at target. It had a variety of different settings and did not hurt one bit. An added bonus, a nipple can they be screwed on top of the bottle you pumped into and can be used or stored.
- This pump also came with a small travel case, making it easy to transport.
- Due to space limitations, we couldn’t fit a full size crib in our place. This turned out to be the best thing for us. Our mini crib fits our daughter perfectly and she hasn’t had any problems with it.
- It fits in her bedroom neatly and doesn’t take up a lot of space.
- Tip: Make sure you purchase mini crib sheets / bed skirts.
Change table with storage underneath
- We got our change table, off of Wayfair.com for approximately $100.00.
- We filled the shelves with a variety of different baskets where we store her diapers, creams, towels, wash cloths, burp cloths, receiving blankets, bibs and pajamas. This makes it easy to change her bum and get her dressed. Everything is in one place.
- It doesn’t have to be the diaper genie brand, but something like this is needed to keep a clean smelling house!
- It’s truly shocking how many diapers a baby will go through, so this product is a definite helper!
- We tried a variety of different bottles/ brands / nipple speeds and AVENT bottles seem to be the only ones that work for our daughter.
- We pack receiving blankets with us everywhere that we go. We keep them in the car, in the diaper bag and all over the house. Our daughter is notorious for spitting up.
Mirror for the car
- This is a nice way to keep an eye on your baby while driving…especially if you’re driving by yourself.
- This way if you hear little cries, whimpers or even silence, you can have peace in mind by checking in your rear view mirror to see what your baby is up to.
Onesie’s that button up the front
- The first few weeks / months, I felt like we were changing our daughter every few hours. Pulling onesies over a tiny 6 lb baby’s head proves to be very difficult.
- The Koala brand onesies from Babies R Us are very easy to use. They made changing her a breeze.
- A good play mat can spark your baby’s interest and teach them quite a bit. It can also be helpful when trying to entertain your baby during tummy time.
Bumbo Chair with Tray
- We brought this with us in our Bugaboo travel bag every time we went on vacation. It was easy to store, carry and gave our daughter a place to eat or play with toys while we were eating.
Hopefully, some of these products will work for you or someone you know! All the best with your adventure!